Ukrainian children who have become refugees in Romania, with or without an official statute as refugees, can enrol in school in this country if their parents submit an application form, several copies of personal documents and, if available, copies of study papers. The application can be done at school inspection authorities, headquartered in the main cities of each county across Romania. Counties are the equivalent of raions in Ukraine, while the biggest city in each county usually serves as host for the most important institutions in the area.
Information on the necessary documentation, how to fill in the application form and where applications can be submitted is listed below.
- Edupedu.ro explains official documents and procedures in an easy-to-understand form, based on official information received from school inspection authorities and the rules established by Education Ministry order No 3363 of March 10, 2022.
The application form is available in three languages, to be picked depending on the language spoken by the parent. The parent is the one filling in the document, in the case of underaged children. If the pupil is 18 or older he can fill in the document himself.
But, according to current legislation and to explanations provided to Edupedu.ro by inspection authorities, only the application in the Romanian language can be registered and taken into account at the inspection authority level, even if the parent fills in requests in Ukrainian or English.
If an applicant fills in a request in Ukrainian or English, he/she is directed to an authorised person at inspection authority level to fill in an identical form, but in Romanian language. Below the following documents, advice on how to fill in the blanks on the form.
How to fill in the application for enrolment in school/kindergarten – step by step
The surname and first name of the parent or legal representative of the child – the person who fills in the document – should be filled in on the first line.
Then, the surname and first name of the child, as written on their ID, should be filled in.
The next blank (following “camped in”, or “cantonat in” on the Romanian language form) should be filled in with the address of the provisional home of the applicant. The following area is that where the age of the child, as a number, must be filled in.
The next blank space is for the date where the start of schooling is planned. The enrolment can be made at any time during the school year.
The selection of an option for the status of the child in school:
- Unattached student (“audient” in Romanian) at study/group/class… (study year should be inserted) – this means the pupil will listen to lessons, will attend classes and will be registered in the school catalog, but will not undergo tests and will not receive grades. The child can only receive grades if he is registered officially in the Romanian educational system and follows equivalence of studies procedures. For this procedure, the family is receives directions at the inspections authority when they submit the application.
- Extracurricular activities without the status of unattached student – it involves participation in any out of school activity (sports clubs, painting/drawing/dance lessons, depending on what the school has available). The student will not be registered in provisional catalogs.
- Counselling and psycho-pedagogical assistance activities – this means guidance, moral and psychological support, activities of self-knowledge. Attending them depends on the human resources available at school and county level.
Below those blanks, the parent can opt in for accommodation of the pupil, food, transport or schooling in hospital, for which the inspection authority will try to match the needs of the family with what schools have available at county level. If a family needs the child to be enrolled in a boarding school, the inspection authority will try to direct him/her to a school with accommodation facilities. If a family wants the child to have a meal at school, the authority will try to seek a school that has such facilities or, through volunteer associations, to guarantee a meal for the child.
The last blanks on the document must be filled in by the parent or legal representative with the address of a home address, an e-mail address and a phone number to be contacted by school authorities.
Other necessary documents
Authorities recommend that, beside the application form which can be filled in either at home or at the offices o the inspection authority, the parents should bring other documents, if available:
- The child’s birth certificate
- The child’s ID or passport
- The parent’s ID
- The residence permit provided by the authorities
- The official diplomas received from school, the grades card or any other documents related to the school attended in Ukraine so far.
Where to submit the documents
Each Romanian country (the equivalent of Ukrainian raions) has a school inspection authority (the so-called ISJ’s). These authorities represent the Education Ministry locally across the country and are headquartered in the main city of each county. Edupedu.ro lists their contact data – address, e-mail, phone number – below. Prior contact is recommended to announce them that you are due to come and apply for the enrolment of your child.
Note: The addresses are written according to Romanian language rules for easier access at local level.
LIST of Romanian school inspection authorities with contact data:
- Bucharest (B) – ismb.ro: Strada Icoanei 19, Bucharest
- e-mail: email@example.com
- telefon: 021 210 75 31
- Alba (AB) – isjalba.ro: Strada Gabriel Bethlen 7, Alba Iulia
- e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- telefon: 0258 811 662
- Arad (AR) – isjarad.ro: Strada Corneliu Coposu 26 (entrance on Strada Miron Costin), Arad
- e-mail: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
- telefon: 0257 280 008
- Arges (AG) – isjarges.ro: Bulevardul Eroilor nr. 4-6, Pitești
- e-mail: email@example.com
- telefon: 0248 219 743
- Bacau (BC) – isjbacau.ro: Strada Oituz 24, Bacău
- e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- telefon: 0754 033 700
- Bihor (BH) – isjbihor.ro: Strada Mihai Eminescu 11, Oradea
- e-mail: email@example.com
- telefon: 0259 416 454 or 0359 436 207
- Bistrita-Nasaud (BN) – isjbn.ro: Strada 1 Decembrie 5, Bistriţa
- e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- telefon: 0263 213 529
- Braila (BR) – isjbraila.ro: Bulevardul Alexandru Ioan Cuza 172, Brăila
- e-mail: email@example.com
- telefon: 0239 619 160
- Botosani (BT) – isjbotosani.ro: Strada Nicolae Iorga 28, Botoșani
- e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- telefon: 0231 584 050
- Brasov (BV) – isjbrasov.ro: Șirul Gheorghe Dima 4, Brașov
- e-mail: email@example.com
- telefon: 0268 511 111
- Buzau (BZ) – isjbuzau.ro: Strada Alexandru Marghiloman 30, Buzău
- e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- telefon: 0238 721 655
- Cluj (CJ) – isjcj.ro: Strada Argeș 24, Cluj-Napoca
- e-mail: email@example.com
- telefon: 0264 594 672 or 0264 590 778
- Calarasi (CL) – isj-cl.ro: Strada Sloboziei 28, Călărași
- e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- telefon: 0242 315 949
- Caraa-Severin (CS) – isjcs.ro: Strada Ateneului 1, Reșița
- e-mail: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
- telefon: 0255 214 238
- Constanta (CT) – isjcta.ro: Strada Mihai Eminescu 11, Constanța
- e-mail: email@example.com
- telefon: 0241 611 913
- Covasna (CV) – isj.educv.ro: Strada Victor Babeș 15C, Sfântu Gheorghe
- e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- telefon: 0267 314 782
- Dambovita (DB) – isj-db.ro: Calea Domnească 127, Târgoviște
- e-mail: email@example.com
- telefon: 0245 211 891
- Dolj (DJ) – isjdolj.ro: Strada Ion Maiorescu 6, Craiova
- e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- telefon: 0251 420 961 or 0251 421 939
- Gorj (GJ) – isjgorj.ro: Strada Victoriei 132-134, Târgu Jiu
- e-mail: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
- telefon: 0253 227 177
- Galati (GL) – isj.gl.edu.ro: Strada Portului 55 B, Galați
- e-mail: email@example.com
- telefon: 037 236 2000
- Giurgiu (GR) – isjgiurgiu.ro: Strada Dr. Ion Munteanu 3, Giurgiu
- e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- telefon: 0246 214 255
- Hunedoara (HD) – isj.hd.edu.ro: Strada Gheorghe Barițiu 2, Deva
- e-mail: email@example.com
- telefon: 0254 213 315 sau 0254 215 755
- Harghita (HR) – portal.eduhr.ro: Piața Libertății 5, Miercurea Ciuc
- e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- telefon: 0266 312 514
- Ilfov (IF) – isjilfov.ro: Calea 13 Septembrie 209, Sector 5 București
- e-mail: email@example.com
- telefon: 021 317 3650
- Ialomita (IL) – isjialomita.ro: Strada Lacului 19, Slobozia
- e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- telefon: 0372 705 073 or 0243 231 825
- Iasi (IS) – isjiasi.ro: Strada Nicolae Bălcescu 26, Iași
- e-mail: email@example.com
- telefon: 0232 268 014 or 0232 268 015 sau 0232 268 019
- Mehedinti (MH) – mh.edu.ro: Strada Decebal 23, Drobeta Turnu Severin
- e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- telefon: 0252 315 579
- Maramures (MM) – isjmm.ro: Strada Petofi Sandor 14, Baia Mare
- e-mail: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
- telefon: 0262 212 114
- Mures (MS) – edums.ro: Strada Victor Babeș 11, Târgu Mureș
- e-mail: email@example.com
- telefon: 0265 213 779
- Neamt (NT) – isjneamt.ro: Strada Lt. Drăghiescu 4A, Piatra-Neamț
- e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- telefon: 0233 214 860
- Olt (OT) – isjolt.ro: Strada Ecaterina Teodoroiu 8B, Slatina
- e-mail: email@example.com
- telefon: 0249 410 927
- Prahova (PH) – isjph.ro: Strada Democrației 35, Ploiești
- e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- telefon: 0244 577 699
- Sibiu (SB) – isjsb.ro: Strada Lucian Blaga 26, Sibiu
- e-mail: email@example.com
- telefon: 0369 101 202
- Salaj (SJ) – isjsalaj.ro: Strada Simion Oros 2, Zalău
- e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- telefon: 0260661391
- Satu Mare (SM) – satmar.ro: Strada 1 Decembrie 1918 6, Satu Mare
telefon: 0261 712 175
- Suceava (SV) – isj.sv.edu.ro: Calea Unirii 15, Suceava
- e-mail: email@example.com
- telefon: 0230 520 638
- Tulcea (TL) – isjtulcea.ro: Strada Dobrogeanu Gherea 3-4, Tulcea
- e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- telefon: 0240 515 771
- Timis (TM) – isj.tm.edu.ro: Bulevardul Mihai Viteazu 32, Timișoara
- e-mail: email@example.com
- telefon: 0256 305 799
- Teleorman (TR) – isjtr.ro: Strada Carpați 15, Alexandria
- e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
- telefon: 0247 312 712
- Valcea (VL) – isjvalcea.ro: Bulevardul Nicolae Bălcescu 30, Râmnicu Vâlcea
- e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
- telefon: 0350 431 571
- Vrancea (VN) – isjvrancea.ro: Strada Dornei 5, Focșani
- e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- telefon: 0237 214 141
- Vaslui (VS) – isj.vs.edu.ro: Strada Donici 2, Vaslui
- e-mail: email@example.com
- telefon: 0235 311 928 sau 0235 314 721
Photo: 176360222 © Svetlanaz | Dreamstime.com/ Dreamstime.com supports education in Romania and offers free stock images through which Edupedu.ro can illustrate its articles as relevant as possible / The Back to school campaign offers the opportunity for any school, teacher or student to download quality images with a 50% discount.